Die Musik

scannen0001
Die Musik, Berlin, Schuster & Loeffler, 1914-15

In 1901, composer Bernhard Schuster (1870–1934) established the illustrated music journal Die Musik that was published semimonthly by Schuster & Loeffler (Berlin–Leipzig) until 1915. After an interruption of seven years, the publisher merged with the Deutsche Verlags-Anstalt (Stuttgart), also known for its music books by important writers and critics. In 1929, the journal was taken over by Max Hesses Verlag (Berlin). Schuster remained editor-in-chief until 1933, when the journal became a propaganda organ of the Nazi regime. In 1943, Die Musik merged with Zeitschrift für Musik, Allgemeine Musikzeitung, and Neues Musikblatt (formerly Melos), leading to Musik im Kriege.

Die Musik reached a wide readership by virtue of its music supplements and iconographic documents, its special issues (“Sonderhefte”), and its variety of topics – including copyright questions and the social status of musicians, pedagogical issues, jazz and film music as well as reviews of concert and opera performances, conferences and festivals, books and music publications and international newspaper articles. Thus, it became the most successful and prestigious German-language music journal of the first half of the twentieth century.

See for instance: Guido Bagier (Musikalische Probleme des Films, 1925; Probleme des Tonfilms, 1927), Paul Marsop (Lichtspiel und Lichtspielmusik, 1924), Hans Heinz Stuckenschmidt (Die Musik zum Film, 1926), Robert Beyer (Musik und Film, 1929; Tonfilm, 1929).

Section: Mechanische Musik (from 1927 to 1930).

Special Issue: Funk, Phono und Tonfilm (January 1932).